SCRUM provides support to the Morobe Rugby Football Union (MRFU) in the following way:
- providing the MRFU competition with top class training and playing facilities at SCRUM Oval;
- providing insurance cover for players involved in the MRFU competition;
- committing active involvement in MRFU committee through member Jeff Puritau completed his second year as President of the organization, enabling close liaison between the two bodies. Also SCRUM RDO Robin Tarere is an active committee member; &
- referee and officials payments in the season as well as providing training & accreditation for referees, officials and coaches.
Many thanks to Jeff Puritau for his contribution to both the MRFU and to SCRUM across 2010 -12. The MRFU has elected a new executive for 2013 to be led by President Livingstone Nenjipa, a former PukPuk prop. SCRUM wishes Livi and his team all the best for a successful 2013 season.
Morobe Rugby Football Union (MRFU) has about 500 senior registered players and over 250 junior players, located in Lae, Papua New Guinea.
MRFU is a registered member of the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football Union Inc (PNGRFU).
MRFU attracts a wide demography with a large number of affluent and accomplished business people and contacts associated with the club. Participants include grass roots, University students, PNG Royal Constabulary personal, PNG Defence personal and the Lae community members.
A consortium of Senior Club Member are established as the “Committee members” to ensure that the club ethos and core belief system aren’t jeopardized.
A winning culture, tempered by humility makes us a positive and proactive association. Since the inception of the provincial competition in PNG 5 years ago, Morobe has dominated and currently is the champion.
An established and highly successful junior rugby program funded by SCRUM (Supporters Club of Rugby Union in Morobe) ensures MRFU competition continues to grow with quality players developing their skills.
MRFU also encourages other districts participation and involves the smaller communities from Wau-Bulolo, Salamaua and Markham in rugby 7s and rugby 10s tournament.
The Morobe Rugby Union competition runs between May and September and holds 15 games with the top four qualifying for the preliminary finals based on aggregated points.
The Morobe Rugby Union competition is held each Saturday at the SCRUM Oval located inside the Morobe Show grounds, Lae between 11am and 5pm.
The Morobe Rugby Union competition consists of six clubs which provides a team in the following divisions:
- Under 21
- A Grade; and
The six Clubs are:
- Consort Royals Rugby Union Club
- Hornibrooks Harlequins Rugby Union Club
- Chemcare Defence Rugby Union Club
- Bismark Pirates Rugby Union Club
- Riback Unitech Reds Rugby Union Club
- Dulux Viking Dogs Rugby Union Club
2012 Committee and Coaching Staff
President – Jeffrey Puritau
Vice President – Avea Hiarua
Treasurer – Hensli Ephraim
Secretary – Tara Leonard
Morobe Hammerheads Coach – Richard Pomare
Each of the Clubs is generously sponsored by the following companies:
- Hornibrook NGI Ltd
- Chemcare Group Ltd
- Riback Stevedores Ltd
- Consort Express Lines Ltd
- Dulux Group (PNG) Pte Ltd; and
- Bismark Maritime Ltd
The Morobe Rugby Football Union competition is generously sponsored by InterOil and team play for the InterOil Shield at the end of the season.
Morobe Rep Side
The Morobe Representative side is called the Morobe Hammerheads and selections are only made from participants in the Morobe Rugby Union competition.
2015 MRFU Committee
- President – Livingstone Nenjipa
- Treasurer – Mokie Tau
- Secretary – Tara Mora
- Tournament Coordinator – Hirake Timothy
- Committee Member – Jeff Lung
- Committee Member – Philemon Hulo